Thursday, March 25, 2010

Killing Time....In a good way!


I have been a buyer on Etsy for a couple of years. It was only a few months ago that I decided to start making things again. I suppose it is because I am working way less hours now than I have been in the last 6 years. I'm normally super busy so having so much free time made me a bit antsy. I decided to start making jewelry/ embroidery again. I loved doing this when I was a teenager and it really burns up time and energy which is just what I need right now. It has always been my dream to have my own store and I figured an online store is the closest I'm going to get so I set up shop on Etsy!




I tend to go through phases of making one particular style of item. For instance, right now I can't stop making lacy brooches! I have made about 15 of them at this point. Despite being small (about 5 inches circumference) they take HOURS. This because I do them totally from scratch. It involves lots of fiddly stitching and if I decide to add some tassles I hand make the chain which involves lots of wire bending and pricked fingers! The end result is worth the bleeding thumbs though :)



I think I can spot my next phase- hair accessories. I made a headband for the first time the other day, I also made a hair comb, you know the ones that you can place on the side of your head when you have a lovely up do? I can't wait to make some more. I just have to wait until the next flea market is on so I can pick up some antique castings or broken vintage jewelry that I can add to them to make them special.

XX MM


2 comments:

  1. Your pieces are so beautiful! I love the blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, no wonder your brooches look so beautiful, there is so much care going into their making.

    ReplyDelete